Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day! Oatmeal Box re-do

When I grew up, May 1st was a big holiday. It's May Day! The holiday symbolizing that the terrible winter is finally over (wish!) and Spring is here.  We would spend hours making baskets out of paper and filling them up with flowers and treats, then putting them on a friends porch and ringing the doorbell and running. I'm sad to say there are only a few of us die-hards left on May Day who like to give friends goodies or flowers.
 I found this adorable vintage card and it reminded me of what Emma, Lucy and Hannah looked like when they were little. I would love to get those little Scandinavians to dance around a May pole now!
My cute friend Michelle always celebrates May Day and she is a fabulous chef, especially with the baked goods. She brought us a plate of goodies yesterday, so I decided to make her a cute and easy May Day box for cookies, flowers, or whatever.
      Oddly, I save oatmeal boxes, very shocking, I know. I think they are fabulously easy to re-do and I love making oatmeal cookies so I usually go through them pretty fast. This little project was so easy that I want to keep making them to put gifts in, etc, since it didn't take long at all.
I measured it about 4 inches from the bottom, then cut it all the way around. Then I got a variety of scrap book papers and just cut them a bit bigger, and glued them down. I traced the lid a bit bigger also, so I could fold the edges under. Next I hot glued it down and cut the edges in intervals so I could fold it down and glue it under.

Then I put some tissue and cookies in it (wouldn't it have been miraculous if they were homemade? No such luck here, I owe it all to Paradise Bakery!)
Then I tied some ribbon around it and put a yellow tulip on top with a card and took it to my cute friends Michelle and Vanessa!
Happy May Day everyone, and lets keep hoping for Spring!




1 comment:

  1. That is so adorable! I love all of the clever ways to recycle things. My daughter is getting baptized this weekend so some of our Utah family is coming to Vegas. My dad called and said when he left up there this morning it was in the thirties. We are supposed to get into the nineties today. That should be a nice shock to his system. I hope Spring finds you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete